RULES OF COMPETITION
Rule 1: AGE AND ELIGIBILITY
The competition is open to accepted teams composed of eighteen (18) or fewer players, meeting the age limit of the specified division. Players must have been born during, or subsequent to the divisional year. Each team must be registered with a National Soccer Association and with a league affiliated with the USYS or national equivalent and present a valid state roster. Player registration cards, duly authorized by state or national associations will be required as proof of age. Out of state teams must have a copy of the permission to travel form, approved and signed by a USYS representative. Teams shall consist of eighteen or less players in the U12 through U19 division and fourteen players in the U11 and under divisions, meeting the age limit of the listed divisions.
Proof of affiliation:
- Required for all rostered players in the form of a current NJYS approved Member Player Pass, valid for the 2012 - 2013 season (including Guest Players).
- Stamped medical releases for each player (including Guest Players).
- Photo copy of team roster.
- Out of state teams must show an approved application to travel
- Guest Players: Up to three (3) guest players will be allowed per registered team.
- Secondary Passes: Will be allowed.
- Roster Changes: No roster changes will be allowed after the team has been registered.
- Double Registering: No double carding of players is allowed, e.g. a U11 player registered for one team cannot play for another U11 or U12 team.
Rule 2: LAWS OF THE GAME
All games shall be played in accordance with the FIFA Laws except as specifically modified by these rules.
Rule 3: TOURNAMENT FORMAT
- Teams will be flighted according to competition level in flights of four teams. There will be multiple flights in all divisions as space allows.
- In each separate flight, teams are paired up randomly for the first game (Team #1 vs.Team #2, Team #3 vs. Team #4.)
- If a game starts late, the referee may shorten the game to finish on time, however, a break is scheduled in the middle of most fields to allow for schedule to catch up.
- If a team is not ready to play 10 minutes after the scheduled time, it will forfeit the game.
- Failure to register at least 1 hour prior to game time on the day of competition may also result in forfeiture of all of your games.
- Scores and standings will not be kept for U10 and younger teams therefore no tie breakers, shootouts or playoffs shall apply.
- In accordance with New Jersey Youth Soccer rules, U10 and younger teams may not play up.
- All teams will play a minimum of 3 games
- All 8v8 games will play three 35 minute games in a round-robin format. No Halftime
- Only U11 8v8 games – ending in tie will go to a shoot out immediately following the game. For all games played at Thompson Park, teams are to go to the Penalty Pit area to conduct the shoot out. For games played at Prospect Plains, shoot out will take place immediately on the field where the game was just completed.
- All teams will play a minimum of 2 games
- All 11v11 games play 25 minute halves, with a 5 minute break between halves.
- All games ending in ties will go to a shoot out immediately following the game. For all games played at Thompson Park, teams are to go to the Penalty Pit area to conduct the shoot out. For games played at Prospect Plains, shoot out will take place immediately on the field where the game was just completed.
- Award recipients will be determined by Scoring and Standings. In the event of a tie in the flight standings, flights that do not contain 4 teams (IE 3 or 6 teams) Modified Tie Breaking Rules will determine the winner.
- Flights with a bracket of 4 teams
- For U11 through U19, the winners of the first game in each flight will play each other for first and second place in their second game. Losers in the first game play their second game for third and fourth place.
Modified Tie Breaking Rules (not for flights with 4 teams)
Teams will receive 3 points for a win. There will be no ties as all tied games go to a shoot out. Teams with the most points in each flight will win 1st place and second highest points will win 2nd place.
Ties will be broken for 1st and 2nd place as follows:
- Head to head competition (if more than 2 teams are tied than disregard)
- Bonus Points
- 1 Point Shutout
- 1 Point Per Goal Max 3 goals
- Goal Differential (max of 3)
- Least goals allowed. If by chance there is still a tie, multiple awards will be issued.
Rule 4. CONDUCT
- Players, coaches and spectators are expected to conduct themselves within the spirit of the laws as well as the letter of the law. Display of offensive language, temper, or dissent is cause for ejection from the game and field of play. Coaches shall be held responsible for the conduct of all persons on their team and those supporting the team.
- Each team shall share the same side of the field while spectators will occupy the opposite side.
- The referee only may suspend play or abandon the game. If the referee abandons a game due to misconduct by players, coaches, or spectators on one team, a victory will be awarded to the opposing team with the score being 1-0.
- Players, coaches and team officials ejected from a game by the referee shall be automatically suspended for the following game and, depending on the violation, may be suspended for more games as determined by the Tournament Committee.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted at game sites.
- The Tournament Committee reserves the right to suspend any player, coach, or team, from the Tournament for unruly conduct.
Rule 5. PROTESTS
There will be no protests allowed during the tournament. Protesting due to referee performance or otherwise is strictly prohibited.
Rule 6. SUBSTITUTIONS
1. Substitutions, without limit, may be made with the referees’ permission:
- after a goal has been made
- at the beginning of the second half of play
- at a goal kick by either team
- at a throw-in by the team in possession
2. Limited substitutions may be made with the referees’ permission:
- in case of stoppage of play for an injury on a one for one basis for the injured player(s)
- to replace a cautioned player
Rule 7. INCLEMENT WEATHER
Our fields have excellent drainage. The tournament will be played through almost anything. In the unlikely event that any games have to be rescheduled, for whatever reason, the rescheduling will be made at the discretion of the Tournament Committee. If the tournament is canceled and will not be rescheduled the tournament will refund a minimum of 80% of a team’s entry fees. The reasons for cancellation might include weather, field usage, or sponsoring organization management decision.
Rule 8. FAILURE TO SHOW AND FORFEIT
It is sincerely hoped that NO games will be forfeited during this tournament, as the expressed purpose of this tournament is to encourage good sportsmanship and participation in as much soccer as possible. In the event that a team must forfeit, the following rules shall apply:
- A team shall be allowed a 10 minute grace period after the scheduled kick-off time before the game is awarded to their opponent. A minimum of seven (7) players (Five (5) small sided) constitutes a team.
- In no case will a team that has forfeited a game qualify for awards.
- A game forfeited will declare a 1-0 score.
Rule 9. GAME REPORTS
The Field Marshall will be responsible for reporting the score of the game. Report sheets are to be signed by one official from each team and the referee after the game is completed.
Rule 10. AWARDS
- U11 and older teams will receive awards for 1st place and 2nd place.
- U10 an below teams will receive participation medals.
Rule 11. UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT
- All team players must wear acceptable and nominally identical uniforms consisting of shirt/jersey/t-shirt, shorts, socks, shin guards, and suitable footwear. All uniforms shall be appropriately numbered and such number shall coincide with game roster.
- Goalkeepers must wear distinctly different uniform from the other players on both teams.
- In the event of a uniform color clash, the designated home team (listed first on the schedule) will change colors.
- Medical or Other Assistive Devices: Wrapped hard casts of any kind, metal splints, or other devices shall be permitted only if they are inspected by, approved, and allowed by the referee of each match. The referee shall have full discretion in this matter and the Tournament Committee cannot overrule his/her decision.
- All orthopedic wraps must be secured and metal fasteners covered with tape. The referee of each match shall have full discretion in this matter and the Tournament Committee cannot overrule his/her decision.
Rule 12. GENERAL
The Tournament Committee will not be responsible for any expenses incurred by any team if the tournament is canceled in whole or in part for any reason. Furthermore, the Tournament Committee’s interpretation of the forgoing rules and regulations shall be final and the Tournament Committee reserves the right to decide on all matters pertaining to the Tournament.
All checks/money orders in payment of the entry fees MUST be issued to the club hosting the Tournament.
If the tournament utilizes golf carts, only those who have a valid New Jersey Drivers License will be permitted to operate a golf cart.